28.4.10

Infatuated with the Arts

Indeed, I am infatuated with the arts. I like that little sentence. It's amusing.

I mean, seriously. When I first kind of figured out the whole idea of "The Arts:" that includes a lot. Drama, writing, music, photography, drawing, painting. Then I realized that just about summed up everything I like about life.

Honestly, I don't understand how people live without art. How can they not? I mean, it's difficult for me to remember a time before I could read music. I am forever grateful for my mom putting me into a kids' music program at a young age. I love music. This year I joined two bands, one on the flute one on the keyboard. You can probably figure out what different kinds of bands those are. Before this year when I joined garage band, I really had no experience with breaking songs into chords and playing them your way. I am really glad I have learned. (Also, joining g-band, I met my first real crush. <3...)

Being in band made me want to learn guitar. Because it seems to me that EVERYONE who is musical can play guitar. I wanted to play guitar. My brother plays it, he has an electric, and he's quite good. So I sat down with it one day, thinking, "Oh, I should get the hang of this pretty soon. I can already read music, after all." Hoo boy. Was I ever WRONG.

I should have thought back to when I first began playing the flute: it took me a long time to just learn the ambuture (the way you hold your lips when you blow, it affects the sound) took me forever. So, lesson learned: guitar takes time. Also I'm not a regular practicer, so it's taking a long time.

My friend Brooke, also in band, plays guitar. She's also an amazing, beautiful singer and is going to be famous before she's twenty. She doesn't read music, but she writes songs. Fabulous songs, actually. She told me it took her a while to figure it out but once she learned, guitar comes easily. Which is comforting, I guess, except for the fact that Brooke is a fricking musical prodigy, and she probably has the dedication to practice for hours.

Anyways, I was practicing guitar tonight and just got lazy and printed out a page of frequently used chords in rock music and decided to try and learn them. THAT'S ALL I NEED TO KNOW.

And in case you guys are musical, the chords are: C, D, D7, E, Em, E7, F, G, A, Am, and A7, but I think that B and Bm are noteworthy as well. (haha, no pun intended.)

Another artistic endeavor I have been experimenting with lately is photography. Several times I have just walked around town, snapping pictures, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It kind of made me think about some stuff, because I take quite a few extracurriculars in the winter. Skating and dance are over, so my schedule is relatively clear except for softball, but still.

People are always saying that life is too short. Does that mean life is too short not to TRY everything, and get all those experiences in? What I mean is, should we try everything that comes our way? I tried badminton and basketball and didn't stick with either. Or is life too short not to waste time doing something we truly enjoy? Volleyball is definitely my favorite sport. At volleyball practice, I don't notice until afterwards if I'm tired or hurting. I just want to keep going. But in dance...I sometimes enjoy it, sometimes don't. Should I stay in it and get the experience? Or just stick with the things I really enjoy?

That was just the result of some late-night scribbles on a pad of paper. I was just thinking about that kind of stuff. Do you have any truly deep passions, and then some things you just stick with because?

1 comment:

Lexi said...

Ah , the arts !

I remember with fondness the days I could not read music, and was free from the violin ! It just . . eats up SO MUCH TIME .

But at the same time I could never ever imagine quitting . Aside from the shame I would bring to my family, there is something really magical about having the instrument vibrating against your chest.

And about dance, if you don't enjoy it, and there are specific things you'd rather be doing-- why not quit? If you don't love it, don't let it hold you back.