26.8.09

The Final Countdown

So guess what I did last night?
I FINISHED A NOVEL.

And it feels GREAT.

Miriam's Isle was born. Weighing in at 154 pages and 21 chapters, she's but a child. She has a lot of growing up to do. Right now, she's just a sloppy little kid that people tend to coo over for two minutes (oh darling you finished a novel isn't that just nice?) and then turn their backs on. But first, I'm giving myself a bit of mat leave. A month or so with Miria and Tom out of my brain. And then comes the child rearing.

But who cares? Because I DID IT. The first draft (or "exploratory" draft, whatever) is the hardest thing to do. But it is far, far away from the final copy. I'm nervous to begin the revision process, but I'm excited too. I have never really done it before, not on a novel scale. 'Twill be something new.

Probably some of you are snorting and rolling their eyes, because I'm so amateur and childishly excited and proud. Really, the hard work is probably barely begun. All you accomplished people are going to go "get a life it's only a first draft the process has only begun." You know what I say to that?

Go to you-know-where and warm your toes.

Okay, I don't think everyone would be that hard-hearted. But still, I can't help but be proud to have finished my first novel the week before I start high school. I know I'm not the only thirteen year old in the world to have done this, however. Jehsyka did so last summer, and she was a lot more mature about it than I was.

Whatever. I'm in a happy bubble. I would just like to remind ya'll to check out MIRIAM'S ISLE at my Other Blog.

Today in my town a whole bunch of peeps are coming. Some Kraft TSN thing, I forget what it is exactly. We won some money for our dilapidated rink. I am going to go and frolic the crowds and run nude in front of the TV camera. Along with everyone else. Watch for me, guys!

Well, enjoy the rest of your summers. I love having Teacher Parents, because last night I printed off three copies of Miriam's Isle First Draft off a printer that is not mine. It even copies with holes in them. Also, I inconspicuously found a Photocopy goof of my class list. I snuck it home, but I don't like my class. You know how sometimes teachers let you pick out three people you want in your class? I would rather pick three people I DON'T want in my class.

There's a guy who's an obnoxious playuh. I've never been in his class before. So it should be interesting, the way watching a train derail and explode is interesting.

6 comments:

Dibsy said...

OMG WOWZERS. I tend to start a story, then get inspired to write another story, and another, so I basically have a mess of unfinished stories. D: Congrats! ^^

Anonymous said...

*screams with glee like a very pathetic child*
I am so happy for you! This is so exciting. Though I would tell you the work has only begun, something tells me it will be much simpler for you who is not as much as a dreadful perfectionist as me. I, for one, am giving my noveling days a break.
But *screams again*! This is so wicked awesome and I'm so proud of you! I have every faith you will be published! I know it, I know it!
^_^ Three cheers for jckandy!
Weeeeee!

jaecy bells said...

THANKS GUYS!! You are tanks (compliment, I assure you) :>)

Dibsy, this is the first story that was more than eight pages that has been finished. Up till now, it's been poems and short stories. But keep trying--it's very rewarding.

And Jehysyka, I assure you I am not a perfectionist. I do want to tweak my writing and am willing to do a GREAT DEAL of work on it to ensure it's my very best. But although noveling may be stressful, please don't scrap your novels. I haven't read them yet.

Laelah said...

Hullo jckandy,

Just stopping by to say that I got my blogger template from this awesome site - http://btemplates.com/ .

Sorry if this came later than expected :o I've been avoiding the internet like the plague as of late, lol.

jaecy bells said...

LOL. Thanks, Laelah!

Commander Kip said...

Hi, you don't know me, but I am exceedingly happy for you!! (found you through the link on Miz Laini's site, by the way.)Out of curiosity, did you use the One Year Adventure Novel curriculum, or just write on your own?